Sunday, March 16, 2008

Opening Tip


Right now I’m shooting 0-1 from the field in the blogosphere.

Reason? Well, I tried this blogging deal early last year, made it for any NBA ramblings that I had, but with other writing commitments (Hi to the folks at 411mania.com) as well as the fact I work roughly 50 hours a week, I wasn’t devoting near enough time to it as I should have. My bad.

OK, but I have decided that had to change. If I want to get anywhere writing about hoops I’ll need more than one column a week. So in order to fully cleanse my blogging structure and upgrade my own writing, I ditched the good ‘ol “Hoops Journalist” moniker and decided to focus squarely on one particular subject. Why was anyone gonna wanna read my ramblings on everything from Tim Donaghy to the mighty Western Conference when they can just head over to the capable guys at ESPN and Yahoo!?

So, instead I’ve become a blogging monopoly.

I just write about PG’s now. P-o-i-n-t G-u-a-r-d-s. That’s right. No 2’s. No 3’s. No nothin’… but PG’s. Why? Well two reasons: 1) There is an inordinate amount of great-to-very-good ones running teams in the L as we speak (Nash, Paul, Kidd, Deron Williams, to name only the best of this diminutive crop); 2) I was one myself in college (although my former teammates may severely question that). So I’d like to think I at least “understand” what’s going on.

The aim here is to bring light to all things regarding point guards. If I read something about one of the PG’s right now – like this piece on Philly’s Andre Miller – then I’ll link it up. If there’s a stat or comparison you guys need to see, which you’ll no doubt find it here, I’ll do that too. If someone ever decides to put up a decent Dennis Johnson or Fat Lever clip on YouTube, you can bet I’ll be hitting it up here. I’ll be breaking down performances, analyzing the past greats of the position, and if you’re lucky, I’ll throw in a tragic anecdote from my all-too-brief career. OK, I promise I’ll try not to do that, but the rest you can put me down for.

Let the Point Guard Nation begin.

No comments: