Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Player Spotlight: Mr. Big Shot


Both of my readers will point to my weekly column immediately after reading this piece and say, “Didn’t he write just last week that Chauncey Billups should never have been a MVP candidate in 2006?”

Of course, I still stick by this – see my column for further explanation – claim, because while it’s entirely possible for Billups to be named MVP of a five-game Finals series (’04 against the Lakers), it isn’t even close to being possible for an 82-game season.

However, that’s not what I’m here to explain, but rather, Billups’ enjoyment of playing against the best PG’s in the league.

After he burned Nash and the Suns for 32 points in Detroit’s OT win Monday night, I broke into a cold sweat (OK, maybe I didn’t) while thinking about the time Billups did something eerily similar to Little Stevey on the day after April Fools Day ’06. Why do I remember it? Well, it was a Sunday afternoon, the game was on ABC, and Phoenix was wearing those Tom Chambers uniforms; it’s safe to say Nash’s defense would’ve made Chambers proud that day. (Billups went for 35, including 28 in the second half while holding Nash to 13).

After digesting tonight’s game, I was wracking my brain to think of a time when Billups was outplayed by another top PG – I couldn’t do it. So, in a time like this, I go to Bball-Ref and sift through their gadgets to get the statistical evidence.

(Note: I checked all Billups’ head-to-head matchups with fellow stud PG’s for all games played beginning with the ‘03 season. Why? Well, that’s since he became the Billups we all know and love, and besides, the Billups prior to that was somewhat of a journeyman, yet to reach his potential, and was handed around by many, not unlike Harold Miner’s rookie card when we all realized that he was just a dunker. With the Miner reference, I realize I’m sidetracked, back to the head-to-head.)

BILLUPS VS TOP PG’s - 2002-03 TO PRESENT

BILLUPS VS STEVE NASH
Billups: 19.7 ppg, 5.8 apg; Nash: 19.1 ppg, 9.2 apg

BILLUPS VS JASON KIDD
Billups: 17.3 ppg, 6.9 apg; Kidd: 12.8 ppg, 8.3 apg

BILLUPS VS CHRIS PAUL
Billups: 20.8 ppg, 7.6 apg; Paul: 17.0 ppg, 9.8 apg

BILLUPS VS DERON WILLIAMS
Billups: 19.2 ppg, 5.8 apg; Williams: 18.8 ppg, 9.2 apg

BILLUPS VS BARON DAVIS
Billups: 16.3 ppg, 4.2 apg; Davis: 14.5 ppg, 7.3 apg

As you can see, Billups has more than held his own. For the record, Billups has a career average of 14.8 points per game, and in each of these instances he’s above it. This is some crazy stuff.

4 comments:

Dustin Fox said...

Just out of curiosity, what's his win/loss record against those other point guards?

Leroy Cant said...

OK, let's see: 6-3 vs Nash, 13-6 vs Kidd, 4-1 vs Paul, 0-5 vs Williams, and 7-5 vs Davis (for a total of 30 up, 20 down).

Utah must have Detroit's number, other than that, Billups has got his AND his team usually wins.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Sweet new site, I like it a lot. Looking forward to some great articles in the months to come.

Jrod said...

Steve Nash in Tom Chambers uniform makes me uncomfortable.